The Advice and Guidance service is still available to students, but we are operating by email only. To speak to an advisor about a new or existing application for childcare support, please email email@example.com
City Lit Childcare Support Explainer
This video explains what help is available for the childcare what evidence to support your application for a grant and how you can apply. You’d ideally apply 3 weeks before your course starts.
City Lit Childcare Checklist
Ready to apply for a childcare grant? This checklist provides advice on when to complete your application in good time for your course and what you need to accompany your application before it is submitted to a panel to review for a potential award.
There are two childcare schemes available to students to help make part-time study possible. First you'll need to decide which scheme you may be entitled to receive help from.
- Care to Learn – for young parents (lone or part of a couple) under 20 who wish to participate in learning.
- Adult Childcare (20+) through our Learner Support Fund (LSF)
1. Care to Learn
This scheme is administered by the Learner Support Service (LSS) and not City Lit. For enquiries contact the LSS helpline on 0800 121 8989 or click here for more information and to apply online.
2. Adult Childcare (LSF)
If you're not eligible to receive help from Care to Learn then you may be entitled to receive childcare support from our Learner Support Fund if you fulfil all of the following criteria:
- You can show evidence that you're entitled to and have enrolled onto the concessionary fee OR you can show evidence that you're on a low income.
- You need support for the duration and times of course attendance and travel only
- You attend your course regularly and tell our Advice and Guidance team of any changes immediately
- Your child/children are under 15 years (or under 16 years if disabled) and you are their parent or primary carer
- Other sources of childcare support have been explored
- You declare any other financial support you are receiving for childcare support
- There are sufficient funds remaining in the Childcare Support Fund. (Our budget for childcare support is allocated annually and once this has been allocated to students there are no further funds available until the following academic year).
Levels of support
We consider the following when allocating childcare financial support:
- Time in class and travel to and from college to attend your course(s)
- Whether the child's other parent is able to provide child care support
- The childcare is provided by a registered childcare provider
- Your attendance on their course, as you'll need to repay any unused monies allocated to you if you don't attend or withdraw from your course.
How to apply
- Check the availability of a place on your course and identify a childcare provider as early as possible
- Book your place on your course to secure your place
- Apply for support by completing the childcare support questionnaire. You must apply for childcare support before the start of your course and applying for support doesn't guarantee that you'll receive support.
- We'll review your application and if approved, we'll send you a letter confirming your eligibility and level of support. We'll also send a letter to your childcare provider including invoice form (CC4) confirming the level of support agreed.
- Your childcare provider completes form after 6 weeks childcare (CC4)
- Funding payment to your childcare provider is made.