We are now looking for new panel members for 2020/21!
We are interested in hearing your suggestions on how to make City Lit even better than it is. Help us to improve the student experience, join the student panel!
What does the panel do?
The panel meets to discuss topics and projects and help guide decision making.
The main purpose of the student panel is to help City Lit improve the quality of our courses, college spaces, how we communicate with students and the service that we offer.
What do we expect from panel members?
• Attend all student panel meetings.
• Be prepared to discuss your experience of City Lit at the panel meetings and take part in activities.
• Reflect City Lit’s values of being ambitious, open-hearted and imaginative.
• Be able to consider perspectives of a broad range of students, as well as the college.
• Act as ambassadors for City Lit. Sometimes we invite panel members to talk about their experience as a City Lit student at events such as fundraisers or in interviews.
Who attends the panel meetings?
There are up to 20 students on the panel. Meetings are also attended by:
- the Vice Principal,
- the Head of Quality and Tutor Development,
- the Quality Manager,
- and other college staff depending on what we are discussing.
Student panel meetings in 2020/21:
- Tuesday 23rd February 2021 – 18:00-19:00
- Tuesday 4th May 2021 - evening
- Tuesday 6th July 2021 - evening
- November 2021 - evening, Tuesday date TBC
Online meetings usually take place 18:00 -19:00, with some research, reading or a task done before the meeting. In person meetings take place 18:00 - 20:00.
Is there any training for new panel members?
New panel members will be invited to an induction meeting where you will learn about City Lit’s history, future aims and strategies.
How will you benefit?
You will improve your communication and leadership skills and make a positive contribution to developing and improving adult learning within an exciting community. All panel members will receive an £85 City Lit credit after they have attended each meeting.
How can I become a panel member?
If you would like to join the panel, you need to fill out an online application form.
Click here to complete the application form.
Deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday 3rd January 2021.
We will invite a shortlist of students to an interview in January 2021. We try to ensure that the panel has students from diverse backgrounds and studying different types of courses. All students must have non-discriminatory views, be committed to equality and diversity and be able to discuss their opinions while respecting those of others.
For more information about the panel and the selection process you can download the terms of reference here: