What does the panel do?
The main purpose of the Student Panel is to act as a critical friend and focus group reflecting on aspects of the student experience at City Lit.
Through its work the panel has input into quality improvement throughout City Lit and our self-assessment and future planning are informed more strongly by the views of students.
Panel members have an impact on our quality improvement, student experience and teaching and learning strategies whilst enhancing their personal communication and leadership skills and making a positive contribution to the development of adult learning.
You can read the Student Panel Terms of Reference here.
In previous years the panel was involved in:
- Comparing us to other organisations to tell us where we can improve.
- Telling us how they want to feedback about their courses to help us design a new feedback system that is tailored to our student needs.
- Designing the new Student Venue Guides that tell students all about the facilities and services available to them in our three mains sites, Keeley Street, EC and FRA.
- Discussions on how we communicate with students, looking at what information they want before, during and after their course. As a result we have introduced pre-course reminders and will be making improvements to our receipts and course outlines.
- Focus groups to discuss the planned refurbishment of student spaces; the student lounges, Student Centre and Library and café. They have also given us feedback on the new areas after the changes were made to help us continue improving them.
- Reviewing the use of the Individual Records of Learning, the panel’s feedback has been reflected in cross college Teaching and Learning Newsletters for tutors as well as changes that have been made to the forms used in classes.
- Simplifying the college feedback processes, feedback from the student panel led to the “get in touch, get involved” campaign. Since it’s launch the amount of students giving us their feedback has doubled.
How can I become a member of the panel?
We look for new panel members each year towards the end of term 1. If you are interested and would like us to send you information when we start recruiting please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll be asked to fill out a questionnaire and based on this we invite a number of candidates to a short informal interview to discuss the requirements and opportunities of the role further. We select panel members to represent the mix of learners at City Lit.
Meeting dates for the 2017-18 academic year will be:
Tuesday 23rd January 6pm-8pm
Tuesday 17th April 6pm-8pm
Tuesday 26th June 6pm-8pm