The assessment policy demonstrates the commitment of City Lit to providing students with fair and equal treatment in relation to assessment of their learning. All students will be entitled to feedback on their progress and given every opportunity to develop their skills and knowledge to the best of their ability.
City Lit has implemented a quality system to ensure all learners have access to fair assessment of their learning. This includes:
- A team of well-informed committed and supported tutors, sufficient in number for the planned provision
- Assessment training for new tutors/assessors
- Adequate resources to support learners’ study
- Guidance and support for learners and provision for individual needs
- Equal opportunities in practice that help to maximise the participation of learners
- Assessment procedures which are inclusive and offer participation, equity and reliable standardisation
- Systems which provide efficient recording and evaluation
- Effective record keeping
- Real progression routes for learners, and preparation for work and/or further study including confidence building and basic/key skills achievements.
The policy will be achieved by:
- Developing a culture where assessment is seen as a positive process
- Informing staff of their responsibilities to provide feedback to students
- Developing staff skills in appropriate assessment procedures
- Informing students of their entitlement to assessment
- Publishing clear learning outcomes in course description sheets
- Providing students with opportunities to develop their own skills of self assessment
- Confirming with students their levels of achievements
- Advising students on appropriate progression routes.
Externally validated courses
- Assessment procedures will be carried out within the advised framework and terms and conditions of the validating body
- City Lit has a clear internal appeals procedure.
City Lit recognises that learners have different learning styles and will ensure that assessment methods will be varied wherever possible. City Lit will ensure that reasonable adjustments are made for learners with learning difficulties or disabilities, without giving unfair advantage or disadvantage to other learners.