The main purpose of the Student Panel is to act as a critical friend and focus group reflecting on aspects of the student experience at City Lit.
Through its work the panel has input into quality improvement throughout City Lit and our self-assessment and future planning are informed more strongly by the views of students.
Panel members have an impact on our quality improvement, student experience and teaching and learning strategies whilst enhancing their personal communication and leadership skills and making a positive contribution to the development of adult learning.
In previous years the panel was involved in:
- Improving digital course evaluations; these are now sent via a link with no need to log-in.
- City Lit Inductions; starting September 2019 we will offer an informative event for new students
- Teaching and Learning; student-led quality and monitoring with more to come in 2020!
- Designing a new digital feedback system by feeding back on how they want to be asked for feedback.
- Suggesting ways to celebrate the City Lit Centenary.
- Comparing us to other organisations to tell us where we can improve.
- Designing the Student Venue Guides that tell students all about the facilities and services available to them in our three mains sites, Keeley Street, EC and FRA.
- Discussions on how we communicate with students, looking at what information they want before, during and after their course. As a result we have introduced pre-course reminders and will be making improvements to our receipts and course outlines.
- Reviewing the use of the Individual Records of Learning, the panel’s feedback has been reflected in cross college Teaching and Learning Newsletters for tutors as well as changes that have been made to the forms used in classes.