On 1st December we changed how we create and manage student accounts.
What is changing?
Your student account (your student number @student.citylit.ac.uk) is now a Microsoft Office account.
Why are we making this change?
We are simplifying the way students access software.
This will mean:-
- One simple user area with access to most of your software applications.
- This will start with Google Classrooms and Google Suite but other applications will follow.
- Student accounts created more quickly for new students.
- NUS and other student discounts
- Microsoft Office download for the academic year
- More coming soon…
How will I access Google Classrooms from 1st December?
From 1st December you will need to follow these steps:-
- Go to https://www.office.com/
- Log in using your City Lit student email address. This is the same as your Google Classroom one - your student number @student.citylit.ac.uk.
- Password is your date of birth in the format (ddMmmyyyy – e.g. 01Jan2000) – the first character in the month is a capital.
- From the Office 365 Apps page click on the Google Classroom or Google Suite icon.
You can see step by step instruction with images and a video on this Logging in to Google Classroom page.
What is Office 365?
- Office 365 is a subscription that allows you access to Office Apps, like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Office 365 is a subscription that is free during the academic year(s) your course is running. We will use the last day of your last enrolled course as the basis for the access period; for example: If your course ends on 1st January 2021, then access would end on 31st August 2021.
- Office 365 gives you the choice to download Microsoft applications on to a PC, Mac or a phone (this is optional, so you do not have to do this).
There is no need to back up any Google Classroom data as you will still have access to all of your Google Classroom files & courses after the update.