Grants towards travel, materials and exam fees

Please Note

We're having issues with our online portal at the moment, if you would like to apply for a bursary or grant today please email

Each year, over 1000 students apply to the City Lit Student Bursary for help with course fees, materials, and assistance with travel and family care via the Discretionary Learner Support Fund grant, funded by the Government. 


Are grants available for any City Lit course?

Most courses are eligible for some form of grant, here are the exceptions:

 Online courses are not eligible for travel grants
 Courses without exams are not eligible for exam grants
 Courses that run for fewer than 3 sessions/days are not eligible for any grants
 Materials grants aren't available on all courses, please contact the Advice and Guidance Team for more information


Who can get a DLSF grant?

To apply for a grant you be able to answer 'yes' to the following statements: 

 I am eligible to pay the concessionary fee, or can show I earn below the London Living Wage
 I am paying the home fee (not an international student)
 I am not currently in full time education
 My course runs for 3 days or longer

Note: Contact details and drop in times are incorrect in the video

If you have questions contact the Advice and Guidance Team on 020 3443 9549
Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 11am to 5pm
Drop in to the Student Centre & Library Monday to Thursday 12pm to 5pm

Contact Us Form

Find out who can apply and how to apply and get your questions answered throughout the process in this short video:

Ready to apply for a grant?  

Apply for a grant now

Please ensure that you answer all the questions on the form and use the checklist below to make sure you have uploaded all the required evidence.

Evidence Check List

 Proof of benefits - letter confirming you are in receipt of benefits dated in the last 6 months (for full details on what benefits qualify check here)
 Proof of income - 2 months of pay slips or SA302 or Tax Return form
 Proof of Asylum seeker or Refugee status (if applicable)- ASPEN card or letter from Home Office
 2 months of bank statements for all accounts in your name
 A copy of your train ticket if you are travelling from outside of London


Still have a question?

Contact Us 
Unfortunately we are unable to offer phone or in person advice at the moment.
Or Apply for a bursary online

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful